Monday, October 5, 2009

Teaching and community

I feel like I am finally in the swing of things here at school. I no longer feel overwhelmed at the prospect of planning or controlling the class. I really love my students and I feel like they are learning things. Every single day I look at the mountains, the butterflies, the flowers, and the clouds that provide the backdrop to my school, and I'm overwhelmed by their magnificence. It's funny... at the beginning of this experience, I really thought that teaching just wasn't for me. I thought that teaching was a profession that just would never fit with who I am. But now I feel like I actually really love teaching. It's really fun and rewarding. Every morning I feel...not necessarily excited, but content to go to work, and that's something I greatly appreciate. Every day is different, brings different challenges and different joys. One of my little students brought me a rose today. When I walk in in the mornings, they all yell at the top of their lungs, "GOOD MORNING, MISS MAC!" The little boys all hide behind the door in the afternoons after recess, and when I pretend to be surprised to find them back there, they squeal and giggle as if it was the cleverest and funniest trick ever. I just love being around them all day.

And on Friday, I'm moving up to the mountains! I can't wait. I spent this past weekend there again, and I just love it up there. It's so quiet and peaceful, and exactly where I want to be. We ate dinner at the comedor, this teeny little family-owned restaurant. There are literally maybe 12 people in the community, and they are all so generous and kind. I went to church with the other girls last night, and there were..I'm guessing 8 people at the service, besides us. It was really nice to see how convicted the people up there are by their faith, and they were so wonderful to us. They talked about us throughout the whole service! It was just really, really nice. When I told them that I would soon be their neighbor, they were giving me hugs and telling me that they would help me with anything I need (cualquier cosa!). I am so excited about my experience in Honduras so far. It's been incredible.

1 comment:

  1. I am relieved that your experience has changed. I'm sure when you are reflecting at the end of this experience you will be just as fond of those moments where you felt lost and out of control as you are of all the other memories.

    Alex misses you a lot. Thanks for the updates. Go USA Saturday.

    ReplyDelete