Monday, October 12, 2009

2 months in Honduras

Well, my first weekend at my new house has come to an end, and I feel... like I don't deserve the life I seem to have stumbled upon. I live in Honduras, in these beautiful mountains, at a wonderful school, surrounded by amazing people. I am being challenged and I'm speaking Spanish. And I've been here for over two months now. Last night I was lying outside and looking at the stars- I swear, I have never seen a clearer night sky than I can see from the mountains in Villa Verde- and I was listening to music, and I just thought, 'Wow. I don't think things can get much better than this.' I feel so peaceful here. It's not just that it's quiet, or pretty, or tranquil. I actually feel at peace here in Honduras. Since my college graduation, I feel like I have just been floundering, and I finally feel calm. I am proud of the work that I'm doing and how I'm living. It's pretty exciting for me to feel free.

That being said, life in the mountains isn't a cakewalk! I've done what I can with my room, but it feels totally damp all the time. I don't mind living in the dampness, but I'm a little concerned that 1) my stuff is going to grow mold, and 2) I'm going to get sick. It's seriously at the point where the mats on my floor are just straight up damp, and my towels can't dry if I leave them in my room. I'm not really sure what to do about that. I have had some serious battles with creatures in my room. There was an enormous spider, a wasp with fangs and a stinger, and a toad that hopped in under the door. I didn't kill the frog (just urged him out), but the other two were goners. I don't have good cell phone reception up in the mountains, and my butt hurts from walking so much! But I still really love it.

We've walked to town twice in the past three days, and every time we come to town, the Post Office is closed. A couple people have sent me some pretty amazing packages (thank you!!) and I know I have another one waiting for me that I can't pick up. It's very frustrating. The post office is only open until 3pm during the week (right when school gets dismissed), and it's supposed to be open until noon on Saturday. But today and Saturday it was closed when we finally got there. agh.

I have learned, by living in Honduras, that I really don't need that much to be satisfied. Before moving here, I never would have imagined how little I actually need. On a daily basis, I sleep, read, write, eat and listen to music. If I have some music, a book, paper/pen, cereal, and somewhere to sleep, I'm pretty set. I only wear T-shirts and shorts. I hardly ever put on makeup. The other day I woke up, had breakfast, read for a while, and then walked into town...all without once looking in a mirror. It's just kind of weird, how simple my life has become. But I really love it. Like I said, I look around and I just can't figure out what I've done to deserve this kind of joy.

1 comment:

  1. I have followed your path in Honduras, and I believe will very rewarding experience. I love seeing the children in the classroom. Their smiles tell me how you are performing their job well. I am here in Brazil, rooting for you!

    ReplyDelete