Saturday, November 28, 2009

Corn dogs and onion rings

I can't believe Thanksgiving is over! Actually, it feels like Thanksgiving didn't happen at all. We've been having a really fun weekend at the house and I'm definitely appreciating the time to relax. However, it feels oddly Thanksgiving-less without turkey and home. On Thanksgiving day, we came to town and stocked up our kitchen with all sorts of goodies. On the night of Thanksgiving, at the last moment we decided that what we really wanted to do was make homemade corn dogs and onion rings. So that's exactly what we did! We very quickly mastered the recipe and made some completely delicious fried food for Thanksgiving. A few weeks ago we figured out how to make homemade donuts (a very dangerous discovery) and now we know how to make corn dogs and fried food. I can see myself expanding in size here in Honduras!!

Last night we had a Thanksgiving feast with all of our neighbors. Our feast consisted of french fries (supplied by the Americans), sweet and sour chicken and cake (from our Filipino neighbors), and lemonade (from the Hondurans). It was so delicious! And really awesome to spend time with our neighbors. I love them.

Although I love it here, with each passing day I get more and more excited to go home. I have no idea if I'll experience serious culture shock or just feel comfortable as soon as I get there, but I don't even care. I'm just really looking forward to spending some time in my home country!

Tomorrow are the national elections. I really hope they're 1) free and fair and 2) uneventful.

A couple of weeks ago, Laura Beth and I were in the forest looking for sticks for roasting marshmallows, and we noticed a really small tree that had lots of sticks on one branch. So I took the machete and chopped it down (we were being really silly) and came back with a huge branch. When we brought it back into the house, we all quickly discovered that it was the perfect Charlie-brown looking Christmas tree! So we decorated it and now we have a Christmas tree.




Happy Holidays from the girls in the mountains! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment