Saturday, May 29, 2010

Rainy season and La Union

I'll start off with a few ear bug pictures, taken in my kitchen:






I have heard that the ear bugs only mark the beginning of the rainy season and that they're just about over, so I'll just hope that's true. We haven't had them for two nights now, so maybe their time is done. But that's what's happening here: the rainy season has started with a vengeance. The rain has always made me feel really spiritual. I just love the rain. However, my love for the rain dwindles when it pours nonstop and I have to walk to and from school in it, and when my roof leaks, and when my clothes and towels don't dry because the air is wet. I live in a cloud forest!! However, even though the rain makes living here a little bit more difficult, it's still pretty amazing to me. I have never seen rain like this before; it just pours all day and all night. The seasons changed from sunny and hot every day to chilly and wet. It's strange that it's summer back home, because it feels like the months approaching winter here.

We've come in a full circle; we arrived during rainy season and we're leaving during rainy season. Having the rain here again makes me remember the fall. I spent so much time in the girls' house; I was there today, napping on the bed I used to sleep on, and I remembered the fall, and what a beautiful time that was. I would wear hoodies and jeans every day in the fall, and bundle up to go to bed. This past week, I pulled out my long-sleeved work shirts again. Has it really been a full school year here? It's a strange sensation, because in the USA, summer marks the end of the school year. Here, the best weather happened from February to April.

Nevertheless, we are heading into our last two weeks. We've been having fun, both in school:


And in town (We always celebrate when the grocery store here has something new, and we were delighted this time to find Koala bear cookies!):


Last weekend, Jacki and I took a trip to La Union. It was pretty awesome to be in a new place. We left school at 11am and took a bus. We were in La Union by that afternoon. All the La Union photos are compliments of Jacki.




We had a really fun time seeing the Vida Abundante school and finding a place where we could buy baleadas for 5 lemps (about 25 cents).



One of the highlights of our trip was when we were serenaded by a mariachi band! It was pretty awesome.


I also rode on a motorcycle for the first time. And I tried on one of Jake's shirts, which was one of the biggest shirts I've ever seen!

Jacki and I had a small moment of panic on Sunday morning, because the ONLY bus to Gracias from La Union left at 5am, and we slept right through both of our alarms. We knew Jake was annoyed, and we were annoyed too! And worried that we wouldn't get back in time, or that we might have to take a chicken bus to San Pedro Sula and then back to Gracias. But we are really lucky, because we are good friends with our neighbors and co-workers here, and we asked two of our friends to come get us, and they came! We rode all the way home from La Union in the back of our friend's truck, and it was so much fun.

Here I am with Juan Carlos:


Trying to teach him something!


We had a great time in La Union. And now, there are only two weeks left. I am trying to give my students as much love as I can, and enjoy my time in spite of the rain and the bugs. My students have become very, very affectionate with me because they know I'm leaving soon, and they've also become really rowdy because they're ready for school to be over. I love them so much. I am still ready to come home, though. Only 2 weeks left.

No comments:

Post a Comment